The grass growing in the lawn tends to change its moods throughout the year. Sometimes it turns yellow, sometimes green and sometimes dry and brittle. Whatever the season might be, you have to tend to your lawn’s needs. You simply cannot neglect it any time of the year. For your ease and knowledge, we have come up with a few easy steps for you to follow in order to maintain your lawn in every sort of climate.
- Chilly Winter
During the 2 months of extreme cold January and February, you can relax a bit when it comes to lawn care. Still, you’ll have to carry out a few chores.
- This is the time when trees are still shedding leaves. Remove the fallen and dead leaves.
- Clear up the debris too.
- If your lawn is soaking or frozen, stay away from it.
- You can clean your mower and check out the sharpness of blades.
- Work on the lawn whenever possible.
- Floral Spring
Weather gradually starts getting warmer in the months of March and April. This is the time of plant growth and you’ll have to get active now.
- Start by mowing the lawn and mow whenever required, as the warm weather will encourage growth.
- Scarify if the lawn is more than a year old.
- Remove the weeds and other unwanted growth.
- Patch up damaged lawn areas and edges with lawn seeds.
- Over seeding should be carried out if your lawn is one year old.
- Early Summer
May and June are the months when you should:
- Increase mowing frequency as trimming often will help the grass grow quicker and better.
- Deal with the weeds and spray insecticides.
- Remove the weeds manually too.
- Water whenever needed.
- Aerate the lawn as this is vital for the grass.
- Summer Monsoon
The month of July and August are usually accompanied with rainfall. That is why:
- Water your lawn very wisely.
- To preserve the fresh green color of grass, more watering is also done as water gets dried up too quickly.
- Be more vigilant during the drought times.
- Spray pest controllers if needed.
- Summer is the time for vacations too. If you are planning to leave your house for a few weeks, ask someone to tend to your lawn.
- Autumn Arrival
The cool and pleasant months of September and October are welcomed by all. These 2 months bring a huge change in weather so your lawn requires more of your attention.
- Cut if the lawn is over 12 months.
- Slow down on the frequency of grass mowing as the growth starts lessening.
- Feed the grass with lawn food and spray insecticides.
- Repair damaged areas and aerate.
- Brush out the dried worm casts with a stiff broom.
- Winter Again
The start of November and December brings in a lot of dead leaves and debris. So, you should:
- Clear the lawn by removing leaves and debris.
- Mow whenever you feel the grass needs it.
- Trim and thin foliage around the lawn.
- Service and oil all gardening tools before storing them away for winter.
- You won’t need to do much in winter, still keep a constant check on the lawn.